The Canadian Opera Company did well at the 2012 Dora Awards, Toronto’s annual salute to its theatre, musical theatre, opera and dance productions.
The company earned two awards for its presentation of Robert Carsen’s well-travelled and widely acclaimed conception of Christoph von Gluck’s Iphigénie en Tauride, and one for its own new double-bill production of A Florentine Tragedy/Gianni Schicchi.
Svadba – Wedding, by Montreal composer Ana Sokolovic, won the prize for Outstanding New Musical or Opera for Queen of Puddings Music Theatre.
The only Torontonian to win an opera-related award was soprano Xin Wang, for her work in Theatre Direct’s remount of Sanctuary Song, an opera by Abigail Richardson and Marjorie Chan developed by Tapestry New Opera Works and premiered at Luminato four years ago.
Here’s the list of opera-related awards from last night:
- Outstanding Set Design (General Theatre Production): Wilson Chin (A Florentine Tragedy/Gianni Schicchi)
- Outstanding Production (Opera): Iphigénie en Tauride
- Outstanding Performance (Opera): Susan Graham (Iphigénie en Tauride)
- Outstanding Performance (Theatre for Young Audiences): Xin Wang (Sanctuary Song)
- Outstanding New Musical or Opera (Musical Theatre): Svadba – Wedding